The Pinewood Centre is owned by Wokingham Borough Council and sublet to Wokingham Without Parish Council. The parish council in turn sub-lets various of the buildings and areas of land to a whole range of community clubs and societies.
The Parish Council receives no financial support from the Borough Council (other than in the form of a low rent) and is fully responsible for maintaining and administering the site. The site is funded by the leasehold rental income and service charges generated by the sub leases, hourly rental fees from Pinewood Hall and supported by the parish precept i.e. the council tax paid by the households in Wokingham Without.
Wokingham Borough Council states that it recognises the strategic importance of the Pinewood Centre in terms of the recreational, sporting and community facilities of the Borough but this does not translate into any tangible financial support.
Address and Map
Old Wokingham Road
Berkshire RG40 3AQ
Clubs and Societies
Tenants (to contact a club directly, please click on the club name)
- Pinewood Football Club – pitches are for use of the club only and do not form a municipal amenity
- Pinewood Allotment Association – 53 in total
- Pinewood Shooting Association (comprised of 5 separate clubs) – rifle and pistol ranges
- East Berks Operatic Society – fully functioning theatre auditorium and backstage facilities plus workshop
- Pinewood Bar and Café – plus function room
- Pinewood Judo Club – with Olympic class athletes
- Pinewood Gymnastics Club – with Olympic class athletes. There are also trampoline facilities. In addition the club organises children’s birthday parties
- Pinewood Miniature Railway Society Ltd – a railway track snakes around the woodland for over half a mile. There are public running days on the ‘third Sunday in the month’ from Easter through to October and ‘Santa Specials’ in December. They also organise Birthday parties by arrangement.
- Bracknell Railway Society – model railway layouts
- Thames Valley Tug of War
- 2nd Crowthorne Scout Group – used by Scouts, Cubs, Beavers plus some ad-hoc hiring of the hall
- South East Berks Gang Show – make and store scenery, costumes and equipment
- Pinewood Motorcycle Training Unit – motorcycle riding tuition and test preparation
- Jayne Coleman Academy of Dance – dance, drama, singing lessons
- Pinewood Raceway – slot car racing and large scale Scalextric
- Boxing Club – set up to support local community sports and engages young people into sport
Classes at Pinewood Hall
This hall is occupied by hirers from 8.30am to 11.00pm Monday to Friday each week plus some time at weekends.
Classes held in function Room
- Pinewood Yoga (2 classes)
- Oakingham Bridge Club
- Aquarist Society
- Pinewood Upholstery Club
- Wan Chun – martial arts
- Dance Zone
- Entertain Arts
Classes in other buildings
- Kick Boxing
- Ju Jitsu
- Under-12 play area
- Glass and Textile Recycling Banks
- Adventure Play area
- Almost 18 acres of woodland including pond and dipping platform (platform courtesy of a Rural Access to Services Programme funding bid)
- The woodland area is now being planted on a year on year basis with plants and bulbs of native species of the correct provenance
- Several wooden sculptures have been installed in and around Dickie’s Pond and the woodland.
- An adult trim trail is located near the allotments, adjacent to the woodland
- A Community Orchard is also on the site of the old hospital orchard which still contains some fruit bearing trees.
Last Updated on 5th October 2023